Leica SL2, Black
AED 24,500 (Inclusive of VAT)Call Us
- Technical Specs
Leica Camera is excited to bring the next milestone and icon in the company’s long history of premium cameras – the new Leica SL2. Building on the platform that was established with the Leica SL when the trailblazing system was introduced in 2015, the Leica SL2 elevates the full frame mirrorless segment to new heights with improved performance, refined ergonomics and streamlined controls.
The Leica SL2 combines a brand new 47 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor with state-of-the-art sensor-based Body Image Stabilization to get the best image and video quality possible with all Leica lenses. The new Maestro III processor enables fast burst shooting and 4K for the highest quality and flexibility, and the optional Cine Mode speaks the language of cinematographers who require a professional work flow. The new OLED EVF with 5.76 million dots of resolution guarantees the clearest view and composition through a Leica lens. These new technical achievements paired with a larger 3.2″ rear LCD and the essential Leica three-button control layout make the SL2 the most capable and approachable professional system camera.
- 47 MP High Resolution stills and 4K video: The perfect hybrid camera with top-level image quality from Leica for both stills and video
- Built-in Body Image Stabilization: All lenses are now stabilized, helping lens a steadier shot even with adapted Leica M-Lenses
- Leica Object Detection Autofocus with face/body tracking: Track moving subjects to capture the action in tack-sharp focus
- IP54 Weather sealed full-metal body made from aluminum and magnesium: Use the SL2 in any and all rough environments with confidence that it will continue to perform
- Designed in-house and Made in Germany: Built to last, with design cues from Leica’s history that honor the past with a focus on the future
- Enhanced ergonomic design: Better comfort for a more secure grip with less fatigue after long hours of use
- Leatherette wrap around front and rear: More rugged and resilient exterior that feels comfortable in the hand
- Streamlined three-button rear control layout with customizable function buttons: Approachable and easy to use button layout similar to the Leica M10, CL and Q2
- Upgraded EyeRes EVF – 5.76 MP: The best view with easier critical focusing, including focus peaking for manual focus lenses
- Dual UHS-II SDXC card slots: Get maximum memory card performance for burst shooting, video & direct backup to either card
- Maestro III Processor: The newest generation of processors to maintain high speeds at these new levels of image quality
- ISO range 50 – 50,000: Flexible enough to shoot in any lighting scenario, even low light
- 3.2″ rear LCD – 2.1 million dot resolution: Larger rear LCD for easier use of touch functions and a better/bigger viewing experience
- Up to 20 fps (electronic shutter) and 10 fps (mechanical shutter) still-capture speed: Fast back-to-back shots to ensure you do not miss the right moment
- 14 stops of dynamic range: Plenty of latitude in post-processing to push shadows and pull highlights even in difficult lighting
- Multishot function (187 MP resolution): Use the built-in stabilization to stitch together super high-res still images (coming 2020 via firmware)
- 4K video recording across the full sensor: Top-notch video recording that captures every detail from edge to edge of the lens
- Up to 4K/60p and 5K/30p (cropped): A multitude of filming mode options for the most versatility on any video job
- L-Log and HLG video gamma: Pro-friendly options for post-processing that maximizes the highest quality from the sensor
- Optional Cine Mode: Changes photo terms like shutter speed into cinema terms like shutter angle for a seamless cinematographer’s workflow
- 8 or 10-bit recording straight to card: Maximum color fidelity in video even on-the-go when shooting to the memory card
- HDMI output for full 10-bit 4:2:2 recording: Record to an external recorded such as Atomos for the very best results with the most versatility
- Built-in 3.5mm headphones and mic jacks: Plug in nearly any microphone and monitor audio levels on-the-go without the need of a dongle
- USB-C 3.1 port for in-camera charging and fast data transfer: The convenience of a reversible USB cable that supports charging, data transfer and tethering
New Sensor with Body Image Stabilization
The newly developed 47 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor – with an ISO range of 50 – 50,000 – gives photographers all the resolution they need while still maintaining high speeds and versatile low-light shooting. The integrated BIS system offers up to 5.5 stops of stabilization with any lens, including adapted Leica lenses never before stabilized, allowing stills and video to be steadier and helping guarantee sharp images even in low light with slower shutter speeds.
4K Video Recording with Cine Mode
The Leica SL2 is a perfect hybrid platform for both stills and video, now recording 4K across the full sensor. It goes further with 4K video up to 60 fps, a cropped 5K mode, built-in 3.5mm headphone and mic jacks and 10-bit quality direct to card. For pros operating in a high-level work flow, the SL2 can be set to Cine Mode to speak the language of cinematographers. For example, shutter speed becomes shutter angle and ISO becomes ASA.
Streamlined Menu Interface and Button Layout
Furthering Leica’s mantra of “Das Wesentliche” (The Essentials), the Leica SL2 has a simplified interface and control scheme. The menu functions for Photo and Video are split up with a graphical interface to clearly identify which one you are in and help you navigate. The three-button control layout of the M10, CL & Q2 has now migrated to the SL2 for easier controls that are more approachable while still customizable enough for even seasoned pros.
Improved Ergonomics and Weather Sealing
Part of what makes the Leica SL-System so special is its versatility. The new IP54-rated weather sealing of the SL2 ensures this versatile camera can perform in any extreme environment. Additionally, the ergonomics and contours of the camera have been improved to ensure it can be used for long periods of time without fatigue. The new grip material gives a more confident and secure grip that is comfortable to hold and use.
New Electronic Viewfinder
When the Leica SL debuted in 2015, it set the standard for EVF performance for years to come. The new OLED EVF in the Leica SL2 brings even better color fidelity and higher contrast with more resolution and sharpness. This new EVF has 5.76 million dots of resolution for the highest quality viewing and composing experience through a Leica lens.
Evolved Design for an Iconic Leica Identity
For the SL2, the designers at Leica’s design office in Munich looked to the brand’s heritage for inspiration. Hearkening back to the Leicaflex SL and Leica R3/R4, the SL-System’s forebears, they established a more iconic Leica identity for the SL2. Now built from a main chassis of magnesium and a solid aluminum top, the Leica SL2 marches towards the future while respecting the past and its legacy.
Leica Object Detection Autofocus System
The advanced contrast-detect autofocus system of the Leica SL2 is capable of face detection and body detection, to track moving subjects and maintain pinpoint accuracy. Intelligent-AF (iAF) can be used to focus on still subjects and begin tracking them as soon as they move. The focusing settings can also be fine-tuned by the user to adjust the behavior and tolerances for tracking.
Long Exposures in Less Time
Users now have the option of turning off Long Exposure Noise Reduction in the menu of the Leica SL2, allowing photographers who capture long exposures to work quicker and more conveniently. Capture detail in even the darkest scenes with a maximum shutter time of 30 minutes.
Camera Leica SL2 Camera type Mirrorless full-frame system camera Type no. 2998 Buffer memory 4 GB: DNG™: 78 recordings / JPG: > 100 recordings Storage medium UHS-II (recommended), UHS-I, SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card Material Full-metal housing made of aluminum and magnesium, leatherette, cover, splash-water protected in compliance with IEC standard 60529 (protection type IP54). Lens mount Leica L bayonet with contact strip for communication between lens and camera Operating conditions -10 to +40°C Interfaces ISO accessory shoe with additional control contacts, HDMI jack 2.0b Type A, USB 3.1 Gen1 Type C, Audio-Out 3.5 mm/Audio-In 3.5 mm, communication interface in the base cover for multifunction hand grip Tripod thread A 1⁄4 DIN 4503 (1⁄4”) with stainless steel in the base Dimensions (WxHxD) 146 x 107 x 42 mm Weight approx. 835 g (without battery) Sensor Sensor size CMOS sensor, pixel pitch: 4.3 μm / Fullframe (47.3 MP): 8368 x 5584 pixels / APS-C (20.2 MP): 5504 x 3664 pixels Image Stabilization 5 axis Body Image Stabilization. Camera stabilizes up to 5.5 stops. Filter RGB color filter, UV/IR filter, no low-pass filter Processor Leica Maestro series (Maestro III) File formats Photo: DNG™ (raw data), DNG + JPG, JPG (DCF, Exif 2.31) Video: MP4: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Audio Format: 2ch 48kHz/16 bit, AAC), MOV: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC (Audio Format: 2ch 48 kHz/16 bit, AC-3) Picture resolution DNG™: 8368 x 5584 pixels (46.7 MP) JPG: 8368 x 5584 pixels (46.7 MP), 6000 x 4000 pixels (24 MP), 4272 x 2848 pixels (12 MP) Color depth DNG™: 14 bit, JPG: 8 bit Color space Picture: sRGB, ECI-RGB v2.0, Adobe RGB Video: Rec. 709/Rec. 2020 (HLG)/L-Log File size DNG™: 84.4 MB JPG: depending on resolution and image content Video: max. length: 29 min, max. file size: 96 GB Recording Mode Video Video mode: P – A – S – M / Cine mode: M Video resolution/frame rate MOV 5K: 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 23.98 fps / MOV C4K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps / MOV 4K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 23.98 fps / MOV FHD: 180 fps, 150 fps, 120 fps, 100 fps, 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 23.98 fps / MP4 4 K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 23.98 fps / MP4 FHD: 180 fps, 150 fps, 120 fps, 100 fps, 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 23.98 fps Bit Rate 8/10 bit for recordings on SD card, 10 bit via HDMI output Video Gamma Rec. 709, L-Log Rec. 2020, HLG Rec. 2020 Viewfinder (EVF) Resolution: 5,760,000 dots, 120 fps, magnification: 0.78x, aspect ratio: 4:3, frame coverage: 100%, exit pupil position: 21mm, setting range +2/-4 diopters, with eye sensor for automatic switchover between viewfinder and LCD panel, time delay 0.005 s LCD panel 3.2“ (backlight LED) with anti-fingerprint and anti-scratch coating, 2,100,000 pixels (dots), format 3:2, touch control available Top display 1.28“ highly reflective trans-reflective monochrome LCD, 128 x 128 pixels, viewing angle 120°; anti-fingerprint coating Shutter Shutter type Electronically controlled focal plane shutter/electronic shutter Shutter speeds Mech. shutter: 30 min to 1⁄8000 s / Electr. shutter function: 1 s to 1⁄40000 s / Flash Sync: up to 1/250 s Shutter button Two-stage (1st stage: Activation of the camera electronics including autofocus and exposure metering, 2nd stage: Taking the picture) Self-timer Delay time: 2 s or 12 s Picture Series Single Continuous Low Speed (3 fps), Continuous Medium Speed (6 fps), Continuous High Speed (10 fps without AFc/AE/WB), Continuous Super Speed (20 fps with electr. shutter function without AFc/AE/WB), Interval Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Multishot Multishot Generates 2 DNGs: 1x 47 MP, 1x 187 MP (8 pictures are combined into one high-res image) Focusing Focus Mode Automatic (Autofocus in modes iAF/AFs/AFc/Touch AF) or manual. With manual setting: Auto Magnification and Focus Peaking optionally available as focus aids Autofocus system Based on contrast metering and depth mapping Autofocus modes Intelligent AF (autonomously selects AFs and AFc), AFs (picture taken only after successful focusing), AFc (picture can be taken at any time), AF setting can be saved Autofocus Metering Methods Spot (can be shifted), Field (can be shifted), Multi-Field, Zone, Face detection, object tracking, optional Touch AF Autofocus Metering Fields 225 Exposure Exposure metering TTL (“Through The Lens” exposure metering) Exposure Metering Methods Spot, Center-Weighted, Multi-Field Exposure modes Automatic program (P), Aperture priority (A): manual aperture setting, Shutter priority mode (S): manual shutter speed setting Manual (M): manual setting for shutter speed and aperture Exposure Compensation ±3 EV in 1⁄3 EV increments or 1/2 EV increments Automatic bracketing 3 or 5 exposures, up to ±3 EV, in 1⁄3 EV increments Shift function: up to ±3 EV, additional JPG-HDR ISO sensitivity range Auto ISO: ISO 100 to ISO 50000, Manual: ISO 50 to ISO 50000 White balance Automatic (Auto), Daylight 5200 K, Cloudy 6000 K, Shadow 7000 K, Tungsten 3200 K, HMI 5600 K, Fluorescent Warm 4000 K, Fluorescent Cold 4500 K, Flash 5400 K, Gray Card Live View, Gray Card, Color Temperature 2000 K to 11500 K Flash Flash unit connector Accessory shoe Flash sync time 1⁄250 sec, slower shutter speeds available, automatic changeover to TTL linear flash mode with HSS-compatible Leica flash units Flash exposure metering Using center-weighted TTL pre-flash metering with Leica flash units (SF 26, 40, 58, 60, 64) or with system-compatible flash units, flash remote control SF C1 Flash exposure compensation SF 40: ±2 EV in 1⁄2 EV increments, SF 60: ±2 EV in 1⁄3 EV increments Equipment Microphone Stereo internal + microphone input 3.5 mm stereo jack Speaker Mono internal + headphones output 3.5 mm stereo jack WLAN The Leica FOTOS app is required to use the WLAN function. The Leica app is available from the Apple App Store™ or the Google Play Store™. Compliant with Wi-Fi IEEE802.11b/g/n, 2.4 GHz, channel 1-11 (2412-2462 MHz) and Wi-Fi IEEE802.11ac, 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz, channel 39-48 (5180-5240 MHz), channel 52-64 (5260-5320 MHz), channel 100-140 (5500-5700 MHz) (standard WLAN protocol), encryption method: WLAN-compatible WPA™/WPA2™ Bluetooth Bluetooth v4.2 (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)), 2402 to 2480 MHz GPS Via Leica FOTOS app Menu languages English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean Power supply Rechargeable battery (Leica BP-SCL4) Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, rated voltage: 7.2 V (DC); capacity: 1860 mAh (min.), approx. 370 recordings (based on CIPA standard, without EVF); charging time: approx. 140 min (after deep discharge); manufacturer: Panasonic Energy (Wuxi) Co. Ltd., Made in China USB Power Supply USB charger function in standby mode or when switched off, USB power supply when switched on Charger (Leica BC-SCL4) Input: AC 100–240 V, 50/60 Hz, 0.25 A, automatic switchover; Output: DC 8.4 V 0.85 A; Manufacturer: Salom Electric (Xiamen) Co., Ltd., Made in China
You may also like…
Leica Multifunctional Handgrip HG-SCL 4 for SL (Typ 601)AED 3,260 (Inclusive of VAT) Coming Soon - Pre-Order Now
Leica M-Adapter-T/SLAED 1,525 (Inclusive of VAT)
Leica APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-4AED 24,950 (Inclusive of VAT) Coming Soon - Pre-Order Now
Leica SL Remote Release Cable RC-SCL4AED 390 (Inclusive of VAT)
Leica S-Adapter-LAED 5,200 (Inclusive of VAT)
Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4.0 ASPHAED 18,000 (Inclusive of VAT)
Leica Summilux-SL 50mm f/1.4 ASPHAED 20,000 (Inclusive of VAT)